Felices Fiestas Spicy Familia
It's that time of year again and we are simply so ecstatic! The holidays are wonderful because they bring family and friends from near and far together once more to make memories and break bread. We have selected a Puerto Rican classic to share with you today and we hope you enjoy making it and munching on it as much as we do.
God Bless you.
Arroz con Gandules.
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup country ham, diced
5 slices of bacon
1/3 cup Spicy Caribbee Dona Nery's Sofrito
3 cups water
1 tsp Spicy Caribbee Caribbee Herbed Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Spicy Caribbee Achiote or Annatto
1 cube chicken bouillon
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Spicy Caribbee Dried Cilantro
2 tbsp pimento stuffed olives
2 15 ounce cans of gandules (pigeon peas), drained and rinsed
2 cups medium grain rice
1. Heat your caldero of Dutch oven to medium heat, add your olive oil, bacon, ham, and sofrito. Stir until fragrant and tender, but not browned, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the annatto, tomato paste, and chicken bouillon. Keep stirring.
3. Add the drained pigeon peas, cilantro, olives and water. Allow the liquid to come up to a boil, and taste for salt. If needed, add salt.
4. Once this mixture id boiling, add the rice. Stir the rice to get it submerged and stir to distribute the pigeon peas.
5. Cove and allow the rice to absorb all the visible liquid. Once most of the visible liquid has been absorbed, stir the rice, cover again. Lower the flame to low and allow it to steam for 16-18 minutes. It's done when all the grains are fluffy and fully cooked.