¡Hola from sunny Puerto Rico! We're excited to share this recipe for BBQ Jerk Shrimp Skewers by one of our customers, Jose Toro -- he's a barbecue and spice aficionado. If the weather isn't right for an outdoor grill in your area, you can also make these skewers using a grill pan or skillet indoors.
We hope you'll enjoy it as much as we have!
Prep time: 1-2 hours
Cook time: 10 minutes
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 2 lb. shrimp
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp Spicy Caribbee Jerk Sauce
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 2 sliced bell peppers
- 1 cup cubed pineapple
- Wooden skewers
Follow these steps:
- Place shrimp in a large mixing bowl and add a few pinches of kosher salt. You won't need much salt because the jerk sauce already has salt added.
- Next, add a few pinches of black pepper to the shrimp.
- Add the jerk sauce to the shrimp and stir so that the shrimp is fully coated in the sauce.
- Cover the shrimp with plastic wrap, and let it marinate in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Soak the wooden skewers in water while the shrimp marinates. This will help to prevent the skewers from charring on the grill.
- Place the shrimp, peppers, onions, and pineapple chunks on the skewers in the order you prefer. You can alternate the ingredients or do any combination desired - make them pretty!
- Keep adding ingredients on each skewer until they're full.
- Next, prepare the grill. If you're using a gas grill or preparing the shrimp indoors, turn the heat to medium-high.
- Place the skewers over the grill. Remember, the shrimp will cook quickly. If you over cook them, they'll be gummy.
- Cover the grill to prevent any flare ups.
- Check the skewers every 5 minutes for doneness. The shrimp should be pink on the outside and an opaque white color on the inside when it's done. The marinade will caramelize and turn a dark brown or black on the skewers.
- Enjoy these skewers as soon as they come off of the grill for best results.